Introduction

There has been a rise in the amount of legacy stories posted on Insim, and this is another one to add to the list. It was partly these other stories that inspired me to start my own, and it was a song by a band called Blackmore's Night that gave me an idea for the founder to use.

More notes and a more in-depth explanation can be found in the preface, including the fact that this is meant as nothing more than a light break from a heavy story. With all that in mind, hope you enjoy this tale as much as the guys on Insim plainly are :)

Tuesday 14 October 2008

Chapter Seventeen

I might’ve known that was why Darya had such a problem with her outfit. Admittedly it does suit her though. I was just glad to get some proper shoes on my feet and slip into some denim.

I chose a degree in maths, and was met with my first paper. I had barely finished before the phone rang; I nearly jumped out of my chair in anticipation as I knew exactly who it would be. Sure enough, Mum called with their verdict – it was like being back at school and hoping to be picked for the football team, although now it was worse as there was much more at stake.

I squealed in delight when she said they’d picked me! Everyone else was in bed, so I had to hope neither phone nor excited eighteen year old woke them, but I couldn’t help myself! If I had problems sleeping before, there was no chance for me now, I was so happy!

My mouth fell open on the sight of Jackie the next day. She’d fancied a change too, and even in her pyjamas she looked amazing! Not that she needed make-up, but what a difference it made. What with getting to spend some quality time with my parents once we leave, and now with this lovely lady in my life, things really couldn’t get any better. Okay, we’re not officially an item yet, but thankfully I know it’s just a matter of time.

Darya chose to study biology, and got to work on her own paper this morning while I served breakfast. I can understand why Mum likes it so much; in fact she’s been passing on some tasty sounding recipes. I’m looking forward to trying them out, and since I’ve been reading up on cooking already, I can be safe in the knowledge that I won’t poison anybody.

It seems it’s not just Darya and I who enjoy a quiet game of chess. In fact it’s got to the point where we have to bag it before anyone else does. It’s great to challenge someone else though, even with my sister finally playing fair.

Darya moans about the people who keep barging into our house. Although I agree that some, like that coach guy, are definitely unwelcome, I live in hope that they won’t all be that bad. That guy dressed as a llama drove her crackers when he tore into our domain, even though he’s clearly a sports nut like she is.

It did get a little tiresome when he kept chanting the same thing over and over. He kept running through the house looking for an audience, even when it was time for dinner. I just shrugged as I worked, seeing it as a chance to try out Mum’s prawns on a wider audience.

Just like her though, my first attempt reduced them to charcoal. With a guest in the house too; yeah, that was pretty humiliating.

He was good with it though. You could still taste the fish under the overly crispy outer layer, that was the important thing. We ended up in quite a nice chat over dinner while the others were at lectures.

He may have been loud and eager for attention, but he was also likeable and easy to talk to. For someone as quiet as me that has to be a good thing; it’s frustrating not being able to strike up a conversation. I’m hoping this spell at Uni will be able to bring me out of my shell a little, but it’s not easy going.

I finally got a chance to tell Jackie how great she looks tonight. She seems just as modest as me on that front – maybe we can bring out each other. I know one thing for sure though; I’m growing increasingly tired of being asked if I’m meant to have brown or black hair. Time to fix that, I think.

That’s better! Pretty stupid to have to dye your hair the colour you were meant to be born with, but that’s how it goes I guess. I wonder what Mum and Dad are up to these days…

No comments: