Introduction

There has been a rise in the amount of legacy stories posted on Insim, and this is another one to add to the list. It was partly these other stories that inspired me to start my own, and it was a song by a band called Blackmore's Night that gave me an idea for the founder to use.

More notes and a more in-depth explanation can be found in the preface, including the fact that this is meant as nothing more than a light break from a heavy story. With all that in mind, hope you enjoy this tale as much as the guys on Insim plainly are :)

Wednesday 1 October 2008

Chapter Fifteen

It had to happen sooner or later. The minute Teddy mentioned ghosts back in the day, and now with our first death in the family, I should have expected something like this at some point.

It looks like Teddy may get his wish after all. Speaking of which, even though I’m now older, he is still as affectionate as ever – not that he has much longer to go before he ages too.

After that manic episode when the twins were little, the pace has slowed considerably. We have more time to spend together, and still enjoy a chat on the beach while watching the waves kiss the sand.

I have lived so long already, and now my mortality is catching up with me, I can honestly say I have no regrets. The best thing I could have done was leave the sea; I have learned so much since living here among humans, and even raised two adorable children. I have never felt happier in my life than I do right now; I am more fulfilled now than all those centuries spent in the ocean.

What a way to see your old pet again! Why she had to hiss at me like that I don’t know – shock aside though, that was awesome! I’d always wanted to see something like this; how fascinating!


(We won’t talk about the fact that she didn’t give me the chance to retreat to a bathroom before getting me again…)

I have to admit; I get a little nervous whenever Dylan starts fixing electric items like the computer. Not because I fear he’d break it further, I know he wouldn’t, but I’ve heard that people can get electrocuted while they work. Whenever I voice my concerns though, he just flashes me that big grin of his and promises me he’ll be fine – and he always is. I do admire the way he works so professionally with the machines I have always wrestled with.

He always finds the time to play with us, too. I certainly wouldn’t dream of favouring one over the other, although admittedly, when faced with the younger version of someone you’ve always been so fond of, it is very hard to not do so.

Darya has endearing qualities of her own. She is very active, and loves to burn off her surplus energy on the football set she bought herself. Sometimes she plays alone, other times she invites her brother to join her. It is so nice to see them get on so well…

… even when she decides she’d rather noogie him instead. He’s a good boy though, and puts up with it.


Dylan: Ow! Knock it off! What’d I do this time, apart from be in the wrong place?

Darya: Oh nothing, I just felt like it.

Dylan: When don’t you?!

My time finally came today. Time to retire, kick back and enjoy the golden years with my darling wife. Oh, and something else I’ve been meaning to do for a while:

“Honestly, it pays to be nicer,” I explained, “How do you expect to stay in a relationship or make friends if you’re mean to everyone?”

To my relief, she admitted I had a point. Hopefully she’ll be better with Dylan from now on.

I got so lost in a loving moment with Lore, I hadn’t noticed my old friend Jackie had been brought home again.

“It’s cool, don’t mind me!” she grinned, “I was looking for Dylan, actually…”

“Oh, really?” I grinned, before looking around. I found him eventually, in his favourite spot – and a fond smile crept upon my face when I noticed he had company.

Given how quiet we both are, it was great to see him making friends. I never got the young man’s name, but he was someone else brought home from school.

We heard the sound of more tiny feet the next day – and I got a fright on seeing just how many more there were. Fantasia had given birth to triplets; two girls I named Oceana and Ariel, the latter in honour of their late grandmother, and a boy I named Aquarius. Oceana is the one who seems to have a sheen to her coat, rather than the fluffy appearance of the others – and once again, they’re all exactly the same in terms of personality. With the unusual appearance of their mother, I can’t help but wonder how they will turn out as they mature, but in the meantime we will need to reserve judgment on which one to keep.


I’m more concerned with another problem; which of the twins will be staying with us when they finish University? It’s not that long now until they leave, and they both seem very keen on the proposition we had for them. We’ve both been agonising for a while over this dilemma, and since they both wish to return it’s down to us to choose one. It may have to depend on the partner they end up with at this rate.

No comments: