Introduction

There has been a rise in the amount of legacy stories posted on Insim, and this is another one to add to the list. It was partly these other stories that inspired me to start my own, and it was a song by a band called Blackmore's Night that gave me an idea for the founder to use.

More notes and a more in-depth explanation can be found in the preface, including the fact that this is meant as nothing more than a light break from a heavy story. With all that in mind, hope you enjoy this tale as much as the guys on Insim plainly are :)

Thursday 11 September 2008

Chapter Eight

Now Neptune’s a big boy, it’s time he started earning his keep. It’s not that we need the extra income; what we do need is to keep yet another animal out of our hair for a while!

I found him some work as a snooper deterrent. Given how much Lore needs to rest lately, and with me working, we could do with a bit of breathing space.


I may be carrying an extra load inside me, but I refuse to let that keep me in bed all day. It’s getting to the point where I wish it would be time to give birth already, although the very thought is enough to fill me with dread. What will it be like? I keep hearing how painful it is…


Our maid started today. The extra help around the house is certainly welcome, to say nothing of when the baby arrives.


Today saw yet another promotion and the healthy cheque to go with it. At the rate I’m going, I’ll be city planner long before I’m old enough to retire.


I found this little lady wandering around our house later that night. I decided for no particular reason to name her Fantasia. She’s a lovely cat, and may well make a good partner for Neptune. I hope I see her around again.


There I was in the front room, minding my own business, when all of a sudden the most excruciating pain rippled through my belly. I’ve never felt such agony in all my long life!


It seemed to last forever, and I was so grateful when Teddy arrived. He seemed to be more nervous than me, yet he managed to explain that I was in fact giving birth. If this is what it means to procreate, I want no more of it!


Although staring into that little face was enough to make the pain worthwhile – I melted at the sight of his features. He’s the most adorable little thing I’ve ever seen.


We decided to name him Dylan – and Teddy barely had time to acknowledge our new son before I felt a now familiar pain grip my stomach.


At first I frowned at her change in manner, before my eyes widened as I realised that Dylan wouldn’t be alone after all.

“Erm, honey,” I began slowly, “Just how many more have you got in there?”

“What??” I screamed, “Once was plenty, I don’t need it again!”


Sure enough, little Darya was born. I honestly had no idea I was carrying twins! She’s such a lovely sight to behold though; two tiny treasures. The pain was most definitely worth it.


Okay, now let’s take another head-count here: two working parents, three cats, and now two babies?! I’m just glad we gave away Pisces when we did, or it would have been bedlam – although I get the feeling it will be without her help!


It didn’t take that long before we both got into a routine of looking after them both. Seeing Teddy with them was such a heart-warming sight, too.


I have to admit, it’s easier than I thought it would be. They’re both so lovely too – so long as they stay that way when they get older!


I trained this animal on the toilet, and what does he do instead?! Did I waste my time with him? I was hoping to avoid the overly messy litter tray, but no. Oh well. There is more training he needs if he is to progress in his work.


It is getting harder to divide our time among so many others in the house. Ariel got to the point where she began to pester the maid in his duties, the poor thing.


I do feel bad about it, yet what can we do but try? Especially when she doesn’t need any more training for work, while her son does.


In the meantime, the exercise bike just had to go. I was growing so hot from working on it for the briefest periods, yet I still needed to work on my own skills. Fortunately my dedication had paid off, and I had earned a most helpful reward to better my abilities.


Teddy has warned me that once the babies grow older, they will also become more demanding. I can only hope we will be prepared enough to cope once that happens.

No comments: