Introduction

There has been a rise in the amount of legacy stories posted on Insim, and this is another one to add to the list. It was partly these other stories that inspired me to start my own, and it was a song by a band called Blackmore's Night that gave me an idea for the founder to use.

More notes and a more in-depth explanation can be found in the preface, including the fact that this is meant as nothing more than a light break from a heavy story. With all that in mind, hope you enjoy this tale as much as the guys on Insim plainly are :)

Friday 26 September 2008

Chapter Thirteen

Dylan brought home this girl called Tina today. Once again it was straight to the chessboard, and it was nice to see him playing with someone other than his family.

Neptune reached the peak of his career tonight. I didn’t expect any less to be honest; he’s just as smart as his parents. Speaking of which, Ariel was looking more like she’d had enough of work, so I decided to retire her. She has certainly earned her rest.


The twins grew older, and again we didn’t have time to celebrate. They weren’t concerned however, they seemed happy enough to age so well.

I was touched when Darya said she wanted to work among the fishes, and that she wanted more insight into my side of the family. I am a little concerned that our growing fortune seems to be getting to her head, though. I hope she won’t allow money to govern her way of thinking.

I had to smile when she found us getting cosy in the kitchen. I suppose it’s to be expected when they reach a certain age, but it didn’t stop me giving her some comeback.

“Wait ‘til it’s your turn, Miss,” I teased with a grin.

“Whatever,” was all she said as she moped off.

I couldn’t help but melt as Dylan grew. I’ve never seen such adorable features in a young man! He looks as lovely as he is inside, that’s the best part. He’s quite reserved, yet deep down he just wants to be liked by people.

Every household needs a techno-whiz, and Dylan’s ours. It wasn’t long before he came crawling round our ankles asking ever-so-nicely for a car, but made it plain that it wasn’t to be a brand new one – he wanted a beat-up wreck he could fix himself. What really got to me was when he said how much of an inspiration I was to him, and that he wanted to follow me into architecture. I was honestly moved to tears.

Occasionally, they tire of the chessboard and seek out other forms of entertainment – like Teddy’s pinball machine. As with a lot of things, it is a pastime they enjoy together. Despite their differences they get on very well, which is lovely to see.

Darya seems very cantankerous for her age. I would put it down to teenage hormones, but she was a pretty mean thrower with that ball when she was younger. Very much the sporty type too, more so than me – and hyperactive with it. She’s going to be a handful, I can just see it…

… although everyone has a good side. I’ve never known a teenager to be such a stickler for cleanliness. It’s almost at the stage where we could cancel our maid and let her get on with it; she loves to clean.


I’m growing concerned about Ariel. Either it’s her age, or that fight with Hydra went to her head, but I swear she’s become more aggressive. I couldn’t believe it when I caught her scrapping with her own son!

Neptune: Okay Mum, be honest – what exactly did I do wrong?!

Ariel: Well, there were those times you kept challenging your Dad when he was just minding his own…

Neptune: Okay, fine, but the punishment hardly fits the crime!

Poseidon began to show his age today. Another cat to retire and let him take it easy – like Ariel, he has truly deserved to make the most of his golden years.

The same day that Poseidon aged, Ariel died. Teddy was just as distraught as I was; our consolation is that she has lived a good life and seen her children grow to maturity. The twins didn’t have that much chance to grow close to her, but for Teddy and me it was a heartbreaking day.

Just as I thought, Darya’s already starting to throw her weight around. Normally those two get on pretty well, but this was one time she decided to pick on the poor lad instead. We’re going to have to keep an eye on that girl.

No comments: