Introduction

There has been a rise in the amount of legacy stories posted on Insim, and this is another one to add to the list. It was partly these other stories that inspired me to start my own, and it was a song by a band called Blackmore's Night that gave me an idea for the founder to use.

More notes and a more in-depth explanation can be found in the preface, including the fact that this is meant as nothing more than a light break from a heavy story. With all that in mind, hope you enjoy this tale as much as the guys on Insim plainly are :)

Tuesday 23 September 2008

Chapter Twelve

Ariel is beginning to show her age. She still seems happy to work for the time being, and is no less hyperactive now than she was before.

The twins remain drawn to the chessboard. Dylan spends almost as much time there as he does reading up on gadgetry. Rather him than me – I never could get my head around these machines, no matter how hard I try.

After what happened with Neptune, I nearly didn’t bother to toilet train Ariel, but with her still being keen to learn new things I wasn’t one to refuse her. I just hope this time it works.

Darya brought home a boy called Steve from school today. He seems a nice enough chap, with just as much interest in the unusual as the rest of us. Given my origins, that can only be a good thing. I have to say, I’m pleasantly surprised at the way I’ve been accepted into human society, despite my obvious differences. The twins appear to keep their legs in the water and have inherited Teddy’s warm blood, but they are still only half human. They are only fortunate they appear normal, although future generations may still inherit a more unusual skin. We shall have to see.

Dylan is such a sweetheart. Not only does he play fair at chess, he always wants to do something with us. He reminds me very much of his father, and that is certainly not a bad thing given what a darling Teddy is.

I made it! City planning here I come! Ah, feels so good to have achieved my goal – nothing can stand in my way now!

I was shocked to find Ariel in a fight today. She’s never fought anyone in her life! I began to peer anxiously into the foray to catch a glimpse of the cat who’d started the skirmish, confident that she was only defending herself.

It suddenly occurred to me what Teddy’s fears had been about Hydra, and my heart sank as I realised she was, in fact, ‘acting like her namesake’ as he’d put it. Perhaps she’s not so good for Neptune after all.


Hydra: I can’t believe I lost to an old woman! How humiliating! I’ll get you for this, mark my words!

Ariel: And I’ll put you back in your place where you belong, child. Let this be a lesson to anyone else who ticks me off!

I never thought I’d be so glad to see Fantasia again. I hadn’t seen her for ages, and with this horrible cat under our roof I couldn’t adopt her fast enough.

I warned her, and I made sure to carry out my threat. Let Hydra make someone else’s pets miserable, I don’t want that creature bearing Neptune’s kittens.

The twins stayed up later than usual, which I would normally have a problem with. They were both so wound up however, there was no way they’d settle if I did send them to bed, so I left them to it and retired for the night.

Dylan: Careful with that thing, you could have knocked me out!

Darya: Ah come on, don’t be such a sissy!

Dylan: Come on yourself, it’s a game! How am I meant to catch it when you throw it so hard!?

No comments: