Introduction

There has been a rise in the amount of legacy stories posted on Insim, and this is another one to add to the list. It was partly these other stories that inspired me to start my own, and it was a song by a band called Blackmore's Night that gave me an idea for the founder to use.

More notes and a more in-depth explanation can be found in the preface, including the fact that this is meant as nothing more than a light break from a heavy story. With all that in mind, hope you enjoy this tale as much as the guys on Insim plainly are :)

Thursday 11 September 2008

Chapter Six

I soon learned why Raquel was so insistent on my purchasing a double bed. As I tucked myself away for the night, it soon occurred to me that Teddy would need somewhere to sleep, and sure enough I became aware of his presence some time later. It took a while for me to grow accustomed to company in bed, even more so when he decided to snuggle up to me, but it was such a nice feeling. He's incredibly affectionate; the next day, he barely let me return from the bathroom before pulling me into his arms.

They say you know you're in love when you don't even know why. That's certainly true in this case; sometimes things are just meant to happen. I had to let her leave for work eventually, but her absence in fact reminded me I had things to do...

LookingForWork1.jpg Pictures, Images and Photos

...like find an opening in the architecture field, or not finding as it turned out. Luckily that strange Humble character had been doing the rounds, and she'd been left a nice homecoming present.

LookingForWork2.jpg Pictures, Images and Photos

It was me who set it up for her and explained the basics. At some point I'll need to help her work it, because for now the poor girl hasn't a clue. Wish it could help me get a more down to earth job though. Well, I have work for now, that's the main thing.


With a job as demanding as this one, it pays to keep in shape. Which reminds me; at some point I'll need to get a workout bench or something like that. That ballet barre she bought may help for what she wants to do, but it's no good for me.

TeddySwimming.jpg Pictures, Images and Photos

While swimming is a more effective means of exercise, doing so in the middle of winter is far from ideal.


I was beginning to feel a little homesick by the time I arrived home, and decided to try cooking the seafood I would usually eat raw. Since humans require such food cooked through, it was a good experiment for me as my cooking improved... or so I thought.

BurntFood.jpg Pictures, Images and Photos

Teddy was good though, and worked through it. His bluish pallor was cause for concern, however.


Take note folks; never swim in the sea during mid-winter. As much as I like the ocean, I really must remember there are times when one must find better ways to keep trim... Oh don't worry, I thawed eventually, but I wouldn't want to go through that again.


Ariel and Poseidon got on so well, I decided now was a good time to attempt to breed them. As they trotted off to the pet house however, my mind started to race as I thought back to myself. I had never considered the idea of raising fry before, and that was when I was surrounded by fellow merfolk. Now I'm living with a human, as a human. While the idea of little human cross-breeds running about the place is an endearing one, the mere thought of making that happen makes me more than a little nervous.

CaptainHero.jpg Pictures, Images and Photos

Oh damn it... you weren't meant to see me in this get-up! Alright, alright, I'm a Captain Hero and my job involves bringing the most violent criminals to justice. It's not as appealing as it sounds, trust me. A mad rush of stopping whoever it is wrecking any more buildings, and then you have to watch someone else clean up what was partially your mess. To be honest, that's partly why I'd rather get a job in architecture – well, there are a few reasons, but anyway... back to work for now. I'll get there eventually. In the meantime there's something I need to buy.


It was a mere two days later, with the springtime now staving off enough of the cold for me to once more venture onto the beach, when I got interrupted during a spot of sandcastle building by a sudden burst of song from behind.

Serenade.jpg Pictures, Images and Photos

This man is so funny, and adorable at the same time. The day before, he settled for taking hold of my hands just after we rose from the bedclothes. This was a little more elaborate, but just as sweet.


I wasn't intending to do this in my dressing gown, but what can I say... it was there, we were on the beach, and it was Spring. I just couldn't resist. The only problem I faced was, how to explain to a mermaid this ritual we have of engagement and marriage?

Engagement.jpg Pictures, Images and Photos

He told me briefly about human relationships, and about such things as marriage which legally bonded a couple. He put it in a way that such a union was one of the most special events in a person's life, and it was a declaration to the world of the partners' love for each other. I melted at the idea, and mentioned how lovely it all sounded. I couldn't believe it when he then asked such a thing of me!

Accepted.jpg Pictures, Images and Photos

There are few times in a person's life when you feel this happy. We clung to each other for a long time, floating among the clouds as the waves gave their applause – so long in fact I nearly forgot I had to leave for work. Talk about moment spoiler.


Still, to say it was worthwhile would be an understatement. “Llama Queen” was at it again, had the bright idea to try to destroy a power plant. She thought she could distract me with this enormous robot thing, but notice earlier I said a Captain Hero? Thanks to my friends and I, not only did she get put away, we all got a cash reward – quite a hefty sum of money. I brought home fifty thousand dollars! I am so getting my teeth into this house when I can; I need to find a home for some of the things I brought with me. Not to mention, I have something else to build now...

Relax.jpg Pictures, Images and Photos

We had taken to stretching out on the bed before tucking ourselves away for the night. I had noticed that Ariel had put on a lot of weight these past few days, and Teddy concluded that their spell in the pet house seemed to have borne fruit. I shifted uncomfortably in my spot as I found myself wondering; if cats have their own mating rituals, what about humans?


I couldn't help but wear a cheeky grin as I offered to show her.

Cuddle.jpg Pictures, Images and Photos

“Oh don't you worry,” I purred into her ear, “If it wasn't enjoyable, we wouldn't do it!”

Cuddle2.jpg Pictures, Images and Photos

A spicy shiver ran up my spine as I felt his breath on my ear. He was very gentle, and things progressed sooner than I'd realised. All manner of emotions ran through my soul, from initial embarrassment to a new level of excitement that I was never aware of until now.

PostWoohoo.jpg Pictures, Images and Photos

And according to Teddy, the best is still yet to come. If that's the case, I can scarcely wait.

KittenBird.jpg Pictures, Images and Photos

We awoke the next morning to the patter of tiny feet; four pairs of tiny feet to be exact. Ariel had given birth to twins, who I named Neptune and Pisces. Watching the new parents with their offspring was such a lovely sight to behold, and I began to imagine Teddy and me with our own little ones. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. It will certainly be interesting to see how they would turn out.

1 comment:

S@n said...

Well I'm so glad he is not a psycho killer! :D

He is in love too!! They look great together and the kittens are simply adorable!!!