Introduction

There has been a rise in the amount of legacy stories posted on Insim, and this is another one to add to the list. It was partly these other stories that inspired me to start my own, and it was a song by a band called Blackmore's Night that gave me an idea for the founder to use.

More notes and a more in-depth explanation can be found in the preface, including the fact that this is meant as nothing more than a light break from a heavy story. With all that in mind, hope you enjoy this tale as much as the guys on Insim plainly are :)

Thursday 11 September 2008

Chapter One

After changing my attire, I looked about myself. The area I’d washed up on was bare and open, with only an apple tree to grace the land. Meanwhile I had two mouths to feed, and the fingers of the sea breeze were running through my hair. We needed some kind of shelter, but there wasn’t much I could do with so little – I soon wished I’d taken more from those ships than I did.

FirstItems.png Pictures, Images and Photos

I don’t know how these humans live, although the sight of buildings in the distance told me I had a long way to go. Still, it was enough to get us by. Fortunately this old fridge I found contained food, and it was still good. Just as well, since I’d noticed a distinct lack of fish in this part of whatever place it was I’d stumbled upon. It was also summertime, so I could sleep in a tent and not wake up cold. The sunlight was just what I needed to warm up after all that swimming.


Curiously enough, as I settled I attracted a good deal of attention. There was this man who appeared soon after I finished building, who said he was from the Garden Club – I never caught his name. However, I was otherwise occupied and this stranger turning up, expecting to be let in as though I already knew him or something, was beginning to irk me with his pacing and waiting.

GCApproaches.png Pictures, Images and Photos

There was another who made straight for my door and, after ringing the hastily applied doorbell, he then left a box by the entrance and went on his way. He was very insistent that I open the blessed thing, although as I watched him I started to wonder if that was a good idea. He looked very shifty for someone just leaving a harmless gift, unless he’s just very shy.

HumbleGift.png Pictures, Images and Photos

At least I think it’s harmless. I have no clue what this contraption is – I’ll have to keep this somewhere safe and ask someone else about it. That garden club member left, thank heavens… although that meant I couldn’t seek his advice on the matter. Something else sparked my interest however – this young man dropped a bundle of paper on the ground nearby. On discovering it was covered in writing and pictures, I decided to investigate further once I’d sat down – with so much to get through, it was likely to take me a while.

FindingWork.png Pictures, Images and Photos

When I learned I could earn some money through work, I was so relieved! I was beginning to wonder how I’d get by in this world. I decided to try my hand at dancing, and took a job as an aerobics instructor – they say they train you when you get there. I hope they’re right, although it surely can’t be much different from the singing I used to do. I found employment for Ariel too, as a vermin chaser. With both of us raising money, I should be able to build us a proper home before long.


I had not long set down the papers before I spotted more visitors to my sparse abode. This time I was happy to see some different faces, especially when they said they wanted to welcome me to the area – they called it an island. I was even more pleased to spot a male presence; after sending so many to their deaths, I now had a chance to find out more about them, and I had every wish to do so. I didn’t particularly wish for the looming presence of the other females, though.

TownieVisitWW.png Pictures, Images and Photos

Ariel made for a welcome distraction. I was impressed that two of my visitors seemed to sense her presence from within an enclosed room but, given who was left in my company, I was far from complaining. I was a little nervous when I remembered my powers had lessened, but I discovered happily that they hadn’t gone completely.

It would surely come as no surprise to him after hearing my origins, when I started to feel the skin on his hands out of curiosity. Warm blooded creatures, it would seem – I had never had such a close encounter with them before. It works both ways of course – I wasn’t sure what he would make of me, but I was pleasantly surprised. Not only was he unmoved, he even seemed to like my “unique” countenance.

TAdmiring.png Pictures, Images and Photos

Before long, I felt a gnawing in my stomach… and my heart sank when I realised I had to prepare something for my guests. I had never cooked food in my life, so I was pretty anxious about serving a meal to these new people. When I got into it though, I found myself starting to enjoy it.

GrillingHotDogs.png Pictures, Images and Photos

I’d needed to ask my male visitor advice about what to dish up, and he’d suggested hot dogs. Quite a bizarre name for sausages in buns, but that is what humans call them. At least I didn’t burn them, pretty impressive for my first try. This man, going by the name of Teddy, had also found Ariel and seemed to take to her very well.

TeddyStrokingCat.png Pictures, Images and Photos

During our meal I quizzed them on this lifestyle they all lead. It turns out this device I was left is called a computer, and that bundle the “paper boy” left is called a newspaper. They suggested that I have a good read of it to find out more, but kindly took the time to explain the basics to me – like the issue of paying bills. I was surprised at this, asking what these “bills” were, and they told me that the services (electricity, etc.) had to be paid for here. I had never been more grateful for finding work so quickly.


As the day became night the two females departed, leaving just me and this Teddy person. We had sat on the sand chatting for hours, and already we had grown pretty close. We were both beginning to complain of hunger though, so we had dinner together. I hope I can learn to cook something other than hot dogs soon, this is already starting to get boring.

FirstEveMeal.png Pictures, Images and Photos

They went down well, though. This sand is something of a novelty, I’m used to hard rocks. I couldn’t help myself; the others were making such pretty shapes I just had to give it a try. Teddy came over to join me too – I must admit, the innocent pleasure of playing in the sand is quite appeasing.

JointSandcastle.png Pictures, Images and Photos

He had to leave eventually, and we exchanged numbers – I knew there was a reason I listened to the shopkeeper who sold the “telephone” to me. I do hope we can keep in touch, he seems such a charming man. I may be struggling materially for the time being, but the companionship I enjoyed today has taught me that riches aren’t everything.

1 comment:

S@n said...

LOL, great chapter... let's see where she goes with that Teddy person! :D lol